Dividing Eden by Joelle Charbonneau

32051572Title: Dividing Eden
Author: Joelle Charbonneau
Date Started: July 26
Date Finished: July 28
Format: Hardcover from my shelf

Twins Carys and Andreus were never destined to rule Eden. With their older brother next in line to inherit the throne, the future of the kingdom was secure. But appearances—and rivals—can be deceiving. When Eden’s king and crown prince are killed by assassins, Eden desperately needs a monarch, but the line of succession is no longer clear. With a ruling council scheming to gain power, Carys and Andreus are faced with only one option: to take part in a Trial of Succession that will determine which one of them is worthy of ruling the kingdom.

As sister and brother, Carys and Andreus have always kept each other safe—from their secrets, from the court, and from the monsters lurking in the mountains beyond the kingdom’s wall. But the Trial of Succession will test the bonds of trust and family. With their country and their hearts divided, Carys and Andreus will discover exactly what each will do to win the crown. How long before suspicion takes hold and the thirst for power leads to the ultimate betrayal?

So this book was interesting and I really mean that. I didn’t really understand what was going on a good 75% of the time, while the other 25% of the time I was watching as a brother and sister became ridiculously divided over the stupidest of things. And part of that 25% of the time I also knew that a lot of deceit and plotting was going on, I just couldn’t figure out who was the grand mastermind behind it all. On one hand you had Imogen, who I knew from the start wasn’t the little innocent seer who only saw one vision of the future. Thankfully, she did show her true colors, even if it wasn’t for very long. Then there is someone on the Council of Elders who I know is in on it, I just don’t know who since they were all quite villany if I’m being honest. Also there is Lord Garret and Lord Errik, both nobles who say that they support Carys and are trying to help her, but whose motives I can’t help but doubt.

Actually, there really isn’t one person in this book worth trusting. Andreus was too easily swayed to betray his sister. Carys doesn’t really know what’s going on. Their mother is a nutcase – even before she actually went mad. I mean, I guess there’s Max and Larkin, but even them I’m not so sure about and I have a sneaking suspicion that that was the whole point behind this first book.

Final Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. I didn’t completely hate it, and I didn’t completely love it. The plot is still too confusing to follow at times and I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to trust at least one character in a novel, but with this one it’s up on the air. I’m curious to see what happens now. I want to know who the mastermind behind this whole plot is, because at the moment I have no concrete idea who it could be.

Bookshelf worthy? Support your local library!


About arkornylo

College grad, writer who's always suffering from some form of writer's block, hockey enthusiast, book lover, music junkie and graphic designer.
This entry was posted in Book Reviews, Book Subscription Box, Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s